I spotted Olive Leaf Stencils at an Etsy pop-up shop event last week and was completely intrigued. I can’t believe these gorgeous patterns are stenciled on! The designs are so fresh and modern, and really, doesn’t this render expensive designer wallpaper kind of obsolete? The bold chevron-like pattern is calling my name, but I’m wondering how easy it actually is to line up the stencils so it comes out picture perfect…especially when you are no Martha Stewart :-) Has anyone tried using a product like this? Do tell!

19 Responses to olive leaf stencils

1. Gloria says:

Thank you so much for the great info, Sasha – it sounds doable!

2. Sasha says:

I’ve been obsessed with stencils for a few years now. My favorite sites are Olive Leaf Stencils, Royal Design Studio & Cutting Edge Stencils. 2 of the 3 can be found on etsy. Most of these stencils come with registration marks on the corners, which allows you to pencil in those marks then line up the next stencil repeat. Not hard at all. Be sure to have stencil adhesive (available at Michaels) and painter’s tape to adhere the stencil to the wall with so no leakage. Also use a level to be sure that your stencil maintains a straight line down the wall. And work from the top down! I use metallic paints from Modern Masters and they’re gorgeous. Good luck and you should definitely try it out!

3. Melanie says:

What?! This is crazy. I’m not careful enough to get these to work.

I have had these stencils bookmarked since I discovered them. I really want the chevron stencil too – in a hallway or something cool like that. But I wondered the same thing. It seems difficult to make it perfect but there has to be a good way!

5. Sarah (TcktyBoo) says:

love, love this! these seem so much less complicated than the “renter’s wallpaper” that folks have been highlighting around the blog world recently. i might have to try my hand…

6. This is really making me want to paint something fun in my little boys room, to bad we are currently renting and the landlord wont let me paint anything but neutrals!

7. Tang says:

I love these!!

8. Gloria says:

@Viv: It’s as awesome as it sounds! Local Etsy vendors set up shop at a West Elm, and we munched on desserts and wine and bubbly while we perused :-) Getting to see goodies I’ve been eying online in person was fabulously fun, as was meeting the geniuses behind it all!

I agree-these stencils are gorgeous, but I’m not sure if I could pull ’em off! I’m smitten with that protea stencil!

10. kimbirdy says:

wow, these really are gorgeous! i wonder the same thing about stencils though. if they’re the stick on kind of stencils, you have to be careful because if your main wall paint is cheap it will peel off with the stencil. and if you’re just using regular stencils, you still have to be careful the paint doesn’t drip or smear down under the stencil. i think it’s tricky, but so is wallpaper, so i guess if it’s cheaper and cuter, it’s totally worth it.

and thank you so much for your comment today! it was so sweet and encouraging. :)

11. April says:

Oh I want these! How beautiful!

12. one)i am totally LOVING these walls. i love really snug patterns like that gray one in bottom right corner. two)Etsy pop up shop? do tell more.

13. alli/hooray says:

I love these! I have been determined to try wall stenciling after seeing it in Lena Corwin’s hand printing book – it looked like designer wallpaper.

14. considering my current fabric painting obsession, these would also look great as fabric stencils!! i’m also adding these stencils to my list of reasons i need an apartment that will let me paint the walls!

15. Stencils? This is brilliant! They’d certainly should be easier to paint over than having to deal with wallpaper if you wanted a change. I’m really digging these — excellent find!

16. Love these! I’m sure if you used a straight piece of tape to line everything it up it wouldn’t be that hard. Great for renters :)

17. I LOVE that chevron print! They certainly don’t look like stencils!

18. These are stencils?! Wow.. very, very impressive! I especially love the top right one! You’ve got me dreaming of a home like this.

19. val says:

wow, what a wonderful resource. Thank you for sharing! I’ve never tried such a thing, but I might just put it on my to-do list.