Bubbly fish necklace from Minet Jewelry | Aqua GurglePot from GurglePot | "The Smell Of The Sea" print from Bespoke Letterpress | Black carp silk screened pillow from minimonos

While no one can deny how graceful they look swimming around in their watery homes, I really don’t understand the allure of keeping fish as pets. You can’t play with them or teach them tricks. There’s no snuggling on the couch, and they don’t jump out of their bowls to greet you when you come home. It’s like having an impossibly beautiful work of art…that poops.

22 Responses to something’s fishy

1. Pingback: Info About Bettas » I Researched 4U

2. This post made me laugh out loud. But I do love your picks very much – specially the necklace!

3. natasha says:

Loving the cute fishies!! So fun! :)

4. Katy says:

Fishy necklace. Want!

5. Tang says:

Haha… they are kinda cute, but you’re right, you can’t even ‘pet’ them! I love that pillow though.

6. rachel says:

love all of these! and I totally agree with you – I’d rather have cuddly pets :)

7. michelle says:

I love gurgle pots, those things are the funniest!

8. These are such cute finds! I especially love the fish necklace – great for summertime!
    Star Hughes Living

9. I love that pitcher– too cute!! My aunt has one like that that “gulps,” it’s practically an entertainment piece.

Oh Gloria – you crack me up! I have two goldfish that have been kicking it for a year now (pats myself on the back). They’re not that cool as pets but when you feel the need for one but can’t get a furry friend, it’s a nice alternative I suppose. I like the way it looks though, for sure. And if you put a snail in there it eats the poop right up!

11. i used to be so obessed with fish and drawing them, etc…so that pillow makes me really happy :)

12. domestikate says:

Ha ha. We have fish, they are totally boring. That necklace is super cute though!

13. Holly says:

so crazy that you posted this today, because my fish just died last night! had one of those betta fishies.

I have to agree COMPLETELY with you. I have to tell you this story!!!

the only reason i did have a fish was because we got him as a party favor at my boyfriend’s little cousin’s birthday party. so we were stuck with him! AND every time i walked up to his fish bowl he’d flare up and swim around viciously in what can only be described as pure hatred and anger! I fittingly named him “Fish-ous” as in a vicious fish (i was quite proud i came up with that)! His tank stank, he was mean, and i honestly think fish are gross, slimey, squirmy, and nasty. and cleaning a fish tank is one of the worst tasks ever because you run the risk of him jumping out and flipping and flopping on the ground while you cringe with chills. but last night i was so sad to see him gone! in conclusion, there is nothing good about having a fish as a pet! it’s misery from start to finish!

• Gloria says:

This is freakin’ hilarious! I know he was a little Beta fish, but I’m picturing him in my head with huge jagged teeth :-) The name “Fish-ous” is just genius – love it!!

How charming-that pillow has absolutely stolen my heart!

15. Aw, cute! I really love that bottom right print. Also, I had a fish a few years ago (given to me as a birthday present) and I always felt so bad because he got sick and I had no idea what was wrong with him. I felt so helpless because I couldn’t help him, but knew he was in pain.

16. I have had a goldfish that cost me 5 cents for 5 years now. its weird…

17. kimbirdy says:

haha! that’s so true. i think i had a fish once when i was a kid and grew bored of it within the first 3 minutes. i think it’s more a gift you give your cat {with a lid on the fish bowl of course}, especially if you live in a city apartment where there aren’t many birds for them to watch outside.

18. Susan says:

Your blog is so cheery & bright, thanks for visiting mine! :)

19. Belly B says:

Hahhahah “… that poops”. You are hilarious, Gloria. I don’t get fish as pets too. They seem so pointless haha!

<3 Belly B

20. i had a pretty little fish for about two years in college and, i agree with your comment, its unfortunate that they can’t snuggle or greet you! these fishy finds are great!

21. kimia kline says:

omg. agreed. not to mention seeing them stuck in those tiny bowls always depresses the crap out of me.