Warning: Use of undefined constant photo_source - assumed 'photo_source' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/gchen/webapps/blog/wp-content/themes/lww_2014/loop-single.php on line 51
Coming home from a nice long break is always soooo bittersweet! Does anyone else spend the first few days after vacation brainstorming for get-rich-quick schemes like I do??
Our trip to Savannah was the perfect combo of beach, touristy fun, lounging around, and lots and lots of eating – all thanks to our amazing hosts Matt & Kate (and their snuggly dog Gypsy!) who recently moved to the area. We stayed at a colorful beach house out on Tybee Island just a block away from the ocean, and now I can’t help but wonder why I’m living somewhere where I can’t make sandcastles every day. Why!
Some highlights from our trip:
- The boys singing a rousing rendition of Meatloaf’s I Would Do Anything for Love at the top of their lungs…while all crammed into the backseat of the car…which was parked in the driveway. The best part was the all-around mumbling when no one knew any of the words between choruses.
- The discovery of my new favorite store, The Paris Market – very Anthropologie Home-esque and beautifully styled.
- Seeing gray fins cruising around in the water at the beach, which luckily turned out to be dolphins instead of man-eating sharks. We bumped into a few more while kayaking – it’s unbelievable how close they get to the boats!
- A fun 4th of July filled with swimming, hot dogs, fireworks, and sparklers that refused to stay lit for more than 10 seconds. We tried to spell out funny words with them for photos, but quickly resorted to drawing shapes and squiggles.
- The amount of scrumptious food we dove into over the week – humongous oysters, fried shrimp, pecan waffles from The Breakfast Club, crab cakes, “The Godfather” from Zunzi, BBQ sandwiches, fried green tomatoes, peppermint ice cream from Leopold’s – we had it all! I’m totally going through a serious case of withdrawal from hushpuppies right now – LOVE them, and really wish they were easier to find around these parts.
- The roly poly bulldog next door named Sheriff Butters (best name ever), who would come barreling over to our backyard as if he had been shot out of a cannon. We all fell in love with him at first sight.
Hope you all had a fabulous week while I was in la la land :-) #3 of my summer bucket list – done!