Sycamore wood plate from The Blackbird Sings | Feather necklace from feistyelle | Golden feather barrettes from Cinderbellas | Birds of a Feather silk clutch from Red Ruby Rose

The feather hair extensions that are all the rage right now turn out to have a nasty side, but that doesn’t mean you have to give up feather motifs all together – just take a gander at these pretty cruelty-free alternatives!

15 Responses to birds of a feather

1. that necklace is beautiful!!!

2. holly says:

thanks for the comment! glad you’re okay and weren’t affected too much by the hurricane!

omigosh i did not know that about the feathers!!!!!!!!!!!! eeeek!

i love fake feathers! =) the feather barrettes must be super cute on.

3. Crazy, I never knew about the feather controversy! But there are so many great alternative ways to show them off…thanks for all of the ideas!

4. Kyla says:

Beautiful post! I’ve never caught on the feather earring bandwagon, but I love feathers as prints…I love that coin purse, it’s so cute.

I had no idea that those feathers were so inhumanely gathered-that goodness for cruelty free options!

6. I love all your picks but that coin purse is especially cute!

7. gloria ~ how cute are these things?! love the gold feather barrettes!!
    xo ~ kristina

8. kimbirdy says:

i love feathers! that is, safe, animal-friendly feathers. the feather earrings i bought for my wedding day were all found on the ground and in trees up in the wilderness of montana. the artist i bought them from lives up there and collects dozens of feathers several times a year {i guess during high nesting times}. they’re gorgeous and i’m even more grateful i was willing to pay more for them knowing how cruel so many other feather accessories are. these alternatives are gorgeous too. i love that necklace! wow!

9. amy b.s. says:

i think i’ll always have a thing for feathers.

10. Tang says:

That clutch is gorgeous!

11. Gloria, you’re awesome for linking to my article – thank you!! Now these are feathers I can support & love! : )

12. Maddy says:

I was never fond of the whole feather extension trend, glad there are many alternatives – like those golden feather barrettes! What a charming little gift for someone special!

13. Mallory says:

gah! that feather necklace is simply amazing.

14. i never quite got into the feather extension trend, but after reading about their “nasty” side, i dont think i need to give it a try. on the other hand, this round-up of feather inspired products are so pretty – love the barrettes!