Remember that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer squeezed into a pair of skinny jeans and couldn’t bend his legs when he walked? That’s me right now. Minus the jeans. I’ve been walking around all stiff-legged á la Frankenstein since I woke up Sunday morning because my thighs are SO sore from the hike! I can hear Jillian Michaels tsk tsk-ing at me now.

Despite my aches and pains, I had a ton of fun on Saturday – being out in the wilderness all day was exactly what I’ve been craving, and the views along the way just took my breath away! We learned about edible plants in the wild, gorged ourselves on blueberries and huckleberries growing along the path, ate lunch overlooking a waterfall, and trekked through chilly ice caves, which were both magnificent and slightly eerie (maybe because the gorges reminded me of the movie 127 Hours).

If you live in NYC and like to get in touch with nature every once in a while, I definitely recommend checking out Brooklyn Outfitters. Our guides Stetson and Katie were super informative and friendly, and I’m already looking forward to booking our next trip! …preferably after I’ve worked on some squat exercises, that is.

20 Responses to over the river and through the woods

1. I am totally bookmarking Brooklyn Outfitters. Where is this place exactly? Is it in the NY/NJ area? I SO want to do this!

2. gena says:

I love hikes because you’re kinda tricking your body into working out. So much fun yet it doesn’t feel like so much work until after the fact. What a fun day. Lunching near a water is icing on the cake!

3. I love this post!!! Especially about the Jillian Michaels tsk-tsking you haha. I’m impressed! I don’t think I’d be able to finish that hike…not until I do a few thousand squats first! I’m such a wimp that I went to pilates last FRIDAY and am still sore a week later. Haha. Gorgeous pictures!

Nice, Gloria! It looks like an amazing adventure was had! I can’t wait to go exploring down here in Kentucky, there are gorge’s, caves and forests all over! And screw Jillian Michaels, I say. I’m pretty sure no matter how many squats a person does in a day they’d still be sore after a hike.

5. loved seeing pictures of your weekend! this place looks fantastic, especially the views! i’m pretty sure i want to spend this weekend hiking after seeing your adventure!

6. Pilar says:

wow, those pictures are gorgeous, looks like an amazing hike :) weirdly enough, i JUST saw on re-run of that same exact Seinfeld episode.

7. This looks like so much fun…though I know how sore you can get from a good hike! I love seeing your smiley, laughing self on here.

8. Victoria says:

That looks so fun, the best part for me would be the fresh berries along the way!

9. oh wow ~ these photos are amazing!! great job on your hike! that little froggie is so cute ;)
    xo ~ kristina

10. Jessica says:

I want to do something like that! Instead I can’t even get my husband to go on hiking trail here in LA.

P.S. The first image in the second to last row is one the best photo bombs I have seen in a while. Ha!

11. Wow this place looks amazing!! Such beautiful scenery… I hope your legs recover soon – hate that feeling :)

12. kimbirdy says:

that looks like so much fun!! i used to do tons of outdoorsy stuff, but it’s been a while since my last adventure. i’ve been craving getting out in the wilderness, getting sore from working my muscles and breathing in the fresh air. aaahhh…

13. It looks like you had the perfect getaway! :)

14. Haha. I DO remember that episode. And I hate that feeling. DC totally did that to me…and Jillian Michaels frequently does as well.

Where is this place? It’s breathtaking and I have to go there ASAP!

15. Rebecca says:

And re: Maddy’s comment….I’m a Jersey girl too. Can we all be friends?? ;)

16. Rebecca says:

Great pictures! And a swimming hole?? Sweet…!

17. sherri lynn says:

This looks so fun! My husband and I would love to go together!

18. Maddy says:

I had no idea you were an NYC girl! I’m a Jersey Girl, but we can still be friends :) The hike looks incredible! But with this heat, I’m not sure if I could tackle something like a hike. I’ll definitely look into it come the fall.