Bugs in general freak me out, but spiders are in a class alllll of their own. I’d happily spend the night in the bathtub if I saw one of these creepy crawlies scuttling across my bedroom wall, or even worse, ceiling! And so I must thank Thomas Shahan for taking these absolutely stunning macro shots because Lord knows I’d never ever get close enough to a spider to appreciate their strange beauty otherwise. Does anyone else feel slightly hypnotized staring into those shiny, alien eyes?

*Apologies to arachnophobes who came here expecting something pretty to look at, and then BAM – giant spiders in your face!! I just thought these photos were too incredible not to share.

10 Responses to up close & personal

1. bianca says:

I’m with you on happily keeping my distance from spiders but these shots are incredible. So amazing the detail God put into these little creatures!

Ha ha…is it me or do they appear kinda cute? But I feel ya on insects for sure.

? – did you design your own blog? I want to find someone to give me a freshie.

3. Mallory says:

horrifying! but cool. horrifying & cool at the same time.

i was at the ocean with my family for mother’s day this weekend & looking at crabs in tide pools & my mom commented on how weird it is that i love crabs but am horrified of spiders – crabs are spiders of the sea after all. i guess it’s just because there’s no danger of a crab crawling up my arm as i innocently sit in bed reading. i don’t have crabs crawling creepily around my house!

4. they don’t even look like spiders! (or maybe I’ve never looked that closely?) That is one brave dude.

Oooh boy this is scary. I feel like I’m in LOTR all of a sudden

6. allyn says:

the photos are amazing. i love bug pictures!

EEEK–amazing and terrifying!

8. Those are so cool… I can see a few movie characters in there

9. Jenni Bailey says:

Those are incredible. But very heeby-jeeby inducing at the same time.