Photo via Pinterest

You might not be able to tell from the content around here, but I’m a bit of a horror fanatic. A collection of dog-eared Stephen King books sits on our bookshelf, and I get maniacally excited whenever a new scary movie comes out. You know how you flip through those awful slasher films on Netflix and wonder who the heck watched this stuff? It’s me. I watch them. Sometimes more than once. Everyone knows The Shining and The Exorcist are classic bone chillers, but if you’re looking for some more recent Halloween flicks, here are some of my favorite modern horror movies:

1. The Descent
    The Descent not only makes you feel claustrophobic and ensures that you will never ever go spelunking, but it also features an all-woman cast. And no one is running around with her cleavage hanging out. Go figure!
  2. The Strangers.
    I often have home invasion-related nightmares, and The Strangers does absolutely nothing to help this.
  3. Fright Night.
    This remake of the original Fright Night is the perfect example of how you pull off a funny scary movie without moving into cheeseball territory.
  4. Saw.
    The first Saw was such a clever piece of work that I got carried away and watched the next 6 sequels. Most of it was through my fingers. Don’t do this to yourself. Stick with the first one.
  5. 30 Days of Night.
    There is absolutely nothing romantic about the vampires in 30 Days of Night. They don’t want to be your boyfriend. They want to tear you from limb to limb while shrieking in horrific vampire voices.
  6. [REC]
    Being quarantined by the government in a pitch black house with infectious bloodthirsty zombies is the stuff nightmares are made of.
  7. Drag Me to Hell
    Drag Me to Hell is a breath of fresh air from the usual weirdo on a killing spree routine. The over-the-top style made me want to laugh, cower, throw up in disgust and jump 10 feet in the air at times. Two thumbs up!
  8. Shutter.
    Asian horror movies are notoriously creepy, and Shutter doesn’t disappoint!
  9. Paranormal Activity
    This movie is king of the nothing’s happening…nothing’s happening…nothing’s happeni-OH MY GOD WHAT WAS THAT?! moments. Like Saw, the first one is the best of the series.
  10. Vacancy.
    Don’t let Kate Beckinsdale and Luke Wilson fool you into thinking Vacancy will turn into a romantic comedy. If my car ever breaks down in a remote area, I’ll be locking the doors and waiting until broad daylight to go get assistance, instead of checking into a seedy motel, thank you very much.

19 Responses to creepshows

1. Jane Y. says:

I totally saw [REC] and it freaked me out! I am terrified of horror movies but I have to watch it! But I can’t do gory. Ugh. It’s too much for me. But on Halloween I love watching classics – even the corny ones like the worst witch :)

2. April says:

I love SO many of these movies! REC scared the crap out of me and The Strangers was amazing! They’re making a sequel! Did you know?!

3. Jillian says:

So NOT a horror movie person, but I did enjoy The Descent. I saw Paranormal Activity and upon leaving the theater, I thought, “What was that piece of crap?”. But when I got home, I was scared out of my mind! Couldn’t get it out of my mind for months after.

4. Lynn says:

i was doing some fright night movie research earlier today but now, thanks to you, i’ve got more to add onto the creepy showtime list! great reviews Gloria, time to get real sciiiiiiired! yah :)

5. Erin says:

I loved The Descent. it isn’t a widely know movie, but it was so creepy. I heard the ending was changed in the states to appease our tastes. Makes me want to see the original.

*Erin

6. Demoiselle M. says:

I only like horror movies that I can giggle at because they’re so preposterous. If there’s even a little realism – I high tail it outta there. Total scary-cat.

7. Laicie says:

OMG I am SUCH a wimp! The Descent still keeps me from ever ever ever considering spelunking to this day. And I can’t even bear to watch Saw. I love that you love them though… you are so super adorable, the fact that it doesn’t fit makes it perfect. :)

8. Stephanie says:

I used to love horror movies when I was younger, and now I’ve turned into a big chicken! :P

Oh my goodness, the Thai version of Shutter freaked me out SO MUCH, particularly the ending

10. Kristin says:

No bone-chillers for me! I get horrible nightmares for days if I watch one :-( More power to ya though!

11. Milynn says:

I am such a horror movie lover! I’ve seen all these! :)

12. holly says:

I loved this list! I am more of a suspense thriller type so Saw turns my tummy upside down but I love your other suggestions!!! Have you seen the “American Horror Story” tv show on FX? I have a felling you would LOVE it :)

13. Jenna says:

Eek! I’m such a baby, I saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre and was just so freaked out for months, maybe years lol. I wish I could love them!

14. Erica says:

Oh, Gloria, I’m quite the opposite. I’m a big baby when it comes to scary movies. Even the really bad ones that look totally fake. I watch them with hands over my eyes the whole time… lol!

LOVE this spooky pic though… muahahahaha… evil Halloween laugh.

15. Alyssa says:

I have a love/hate relationship with scary movies. Basically, I love to watch them from behind a pillow, screaming with friends…but then hate having to go to bed and have nightmares. I’ve been avoiding The Strangers for exactly this reason!

-Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

16. Mariko says:

Good list! If you haven’t seen it yet, you really should check out the original Fright Night. Chris Sarandon is such a great mix of creepy and sexy… I think [REC] is the last movie to really scare me.

17. Alycia says:

ooh i love drag me to hell and vacancy! great list :) i love let the right one in. it’s not super scary, but it’s still a bit creepy.

18. Erin says:

No merci. The scariest thing I can stomach is a particularly gruesome episode of Law and Order. And even then I can’t watch at night or alone. I’m such a wuss!

19. If I’m exhausted and go to bed early, my husband goes straight for the Netflix horror section. I can’t handle it. lol. I’m not so scared of over the top, campy movies but I can’t deal with ones that could actually happen (home invasions included). I wouldn’t be able to sleep for months!