I know there are people who lose their mind when they get a whiff of McDonald’s fries, but my downfall is the buttery scent of a nearby Auntie Anne’s pretzel stand. Once it’s on my radar, I can’t help but march over and hand them all my money like some type of reverse mugging. Are we sure Auntie Anne’s isn’t really a military brainwashing research facility? Someone should look into this.

So of course when I spotted this copycat recipe on Pinterest, I just had to try it! Hubs mixed up the dough easy peasy, and I rolled and twisted them into little pretzels and sent them off into the oven. After lovingly brushing them with a bit of butter, we each took a bite and it was bliss. Soft and chewy, with the perfect hint of salt and butter. We were so busy stuffing our faces that we never got around to making the accompanying garlic cheese sauce, but that will definitely not be overlooked next time.

PS. Pretzel makers, is there a trick to rolling out the dough into thin ropes? I thought I did a good job, until our pretzels puffed up like fat pretzel rolls instead of looking like the super skinny ones at Auntie Anne’s. They’re delicious all the same, but just wondering!

The recipe from Yammie’s Noshery is as follows:

Auntie Anne’s Pretzels: Copycat Recipe
Makes 12, Adapted from Food Network

2 cups milk
1 1/2 tablespoons (2 packets) active dry yeast
6 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
4 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons fine salt

1/3 cup baking soda
3 cups warm water
Coarse salt
8 tablespoons butter, melted in a shallow dish

Warm up the milk in the microwave or on the stove for just about one and a half minutes. It should be about 110º. If it’s too hot it will kill the yeast. You should be able to comfortably keep your finger in it. Stir in the yeast and let it sit for about 3 minutes. Add the butter and sugar. Add the flour about 1 cup at a time and the add the fine salt. Kneed for about 10 minutes with a stand mixer, or by hand. Put it in a greased bowl and cover with greased cling wrap. Let rise for 1 hour in a moist, warm place until doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 450º. Punch down dough and divide into 12 lumps (I like to divide it in half, then divide each half into three, and then divide each remaining one in half again). Roll them all out as thin as you can. Combine the warm water and baking soda in a wide bowl. Form the dough into pretzel shapes, then dip in the baking soda water. Place on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake for about 7-11 minutes or until browned.

Dip each in the melted butter while hot. Serve with cheese sauce.

For Garlic Cheese Sauce (A Yammie original):

3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
3 cloves minced garlic
1 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
a pinch cayenne pepper
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (Not pre-shredded. Do it yourself.)

In a saucepan, combine the butter, flour, and garlic over medium heat. Whisk until lightly browned. Whisk in the milk, paprika, and cayenne pepper and continue whisking until thickened. Add the cheese and whisk until melted. Can be reheated in the microwave.

20 Responses to it’s pretzel time!

1. I have a major weakness for those pretzels too! So, so good. I tried making pretzels once too and couldn’t get the shape right either so I’m no help! :)

2. domestikate says:

Ooh these look good! Pinning right now!

3. Alexa says:

Oh my gosh that looks absolutely heavenly!

4. davie+erica says:

That looks absolutely scrumptious<3 Want a pretzel for a snack now haha

ox from NYC!
    davie+erica

LPFashionPhilosophy

5. Amy says:

I’d take a pretzel over fries anyday of the week!! These look absolutely delicious!
    xoAmy

6. honeymyheart says:

that pretzel is mouth watering! i really want to try a few when i’m in nyc. and yes, auntie anne’s makes such good ones.

7. i love soft pretzels!
    i’ve never made my own, so i should give these a try sometime!

I made pretzels last year and it was such a treat to have at home but mine were ultra thick, too!

9. Mmmmmm I so know what you mean about the smell of Auntie Anne’s. So good!

My husband and I have been making a pretzel bites recipe that I found on Pinterest that’s pretty delicious. He’s anti butter (weirdo) so they never have that little buttery kick to them. I don’t know why I never thought to brush some on. Totally doing that next time!

10. katherine says:

ohmygosh i need this now it looks so good. i cannot tell you how much i love soft pretzels

<3 katherineof corgis and cocktails

11. Stephanie says:

Yum! Sometimes the girls and I go to the mall specifically to eat Auntie Anne’s pretzels and drink lemonade. They are SO good. I’ve never made pretzels at home before… we’ll have to try it out!

12. I haven’t had one of these in forever. They are SO good!

Amy

Fashion and Beauty Finds

13. Wow, I’m not that nuts about Auntie Anne’s pretzels, but you got me here! I would have to make them, though, as we’re about 3000 miles from any Auntie Anne’s franchise here. :-/

My pretzels always end up looking like fat blobs! I guess I need to end up rolling them very very thin

15. Valerie (Pieceful Wedding) says:

That looks amazing! I really can’t get enough of soft, chewy pretzels…I’m definitely going to have to try this!

16. Zhanna says:

It looks so yummy I wish I didn’t have a gluten allergy. Your post makes me miss bread.
    XO,
    Zhanna

17. Victoria says:

Matt used to make fun of me because when we started dating I would always buy a pretzel and a Dr. Pepper every time we went to the mall. Excited to try this.

18. Alyssa says:

I know EXACTLY what you mean. The smell of Auntie Anne’s gets me every single time. It’s intoxicating! I’ve never tried my hand at pretzels. Thanks for the recipe!

Alyssa