Hubs and I went to a fun wine tasting party at a friend’s house this weekend, and I offered to bring along some Christmas cookies for everyone to nibble on between their glasses of pinots and merlots. So the night before, I decided on some pretty chocolate-mint crackle cookies and dutifully checked the ingredients to make sure I had everything I needed, which I did. Perfection! About 2 hours before the party, I start mixing up some delicious smelling dough, and it was smooth sailing until I hit this step: Chill dough for at least 3 hours…oops. [Insert cursing here]

Moral of the story: Read through the entire recipe before you start baking, otherwise you’ll end up on your friend’s doorstep with a fabulous tube of Pilsbury cookies!

The recipe from Martha Stewart is as follows:

2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3/4 teaspoon pure mint extract
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar

1. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring.

2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and cocoa in a small bowl.

3. Whisk together granulated sugar, eggs, and melted butter in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in melted chocolate and mint extract until smooth. Stir in flour mixture. Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours.

4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls using your palms, then roll in confectioners’ sugar to coat. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing each 1 inch apart. Bake until slightly firm in the center, about 15 minutes.

5. Let cool slightly on sheets set on wire racks. Transfer cookies to racks, and let cool completely.

PS. In case you were wondering, these cookies are tasty! They have a soft, brownie-like texture and aren’t excessively sweet, even with a generous dusting of confectioners’ sugar. A hint of mint is the perfect addition to such a snowy looking cookie – definitely holiday party worthy!

18 Responses to chocolate mint crackle cookies

1. those look so good! adding these to my holiday baking list… which just seems to keep growing!

2. alli says:

I always forget to READ AHEAD before following instructions. Love the look of crackle cookies – these are perfect!

3. Stephanie says:

Yum! These would be so good with a huge cup of coffee! I’m planning to make some chocolate mint cookies soon too, but haven’t had a chance to read through the entire recipe yet. :P

4. homestilo says:

Two mistakes I make all the time: 1)not making sure I have all ingredients first 2)not reading all of the directions through before getting started. Gets me every time. But, these sounds so yummy. I think I’m going to have to give it a go!

5. Alexa says:

OMG I’m dying. These look so delish.

6. Allyssa says:

Those look amazing! I made chocolate crackle cookies last year, but they didn’t turn out well. I think I need to retry and use this recipe! And I just realized they’re chocolate MINT… that makes them even better!

7. two birds says:

that has happened to me so many times. it’s why i don’t bake! it stinks because you were actually prepared way ahead of time. but i bet they were also happy with the other cookies you brought!

YUM–these sound delicious, and they look divine!

9. Laicie says:

OMG you’re killing me here… it’s only a matter of time before my post-honeymoon healthy eating gives way to Christmas cookie madness. YUM.

10. katherine says:

oh my gosh I LOVE these! Panera had these kind last year and I loved them – I need to make these now!!!!

<3 katherineof corgis and cocktails

11. Rachel says:

These look amazing! I’m going to make these for Christmas maybe :)

12. allison says:

these look delicious! must try these out for holiday parties!

13. Kyla says:

Oh my god, these look amazing. And I’m so guilty of not reading through an entire recipe before, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve not refrigerated or let sit!

14. holly says:

OMG- Gloria, I always manage to skip an important step when I bake too! hahaha But these really do look delish!

xx
    Holly Foxen Wells
    GlamourMash

Ha ha…I’ve so done this morning times that i can count!

16. Milynn says:

Oh I definitely learned this the hard way. I had to make pie crust and I skipped over the part where it says “chill pie crust before baking”… thinking who needs chilling… sigh. But I’ve been looking for a good holiday cookie recipe to bring to holiday parties. I am bookmarking this!

17. Chelsea says:

These sound so delicious! I am in such a baking mood these days. I will have to try them! xo

Mmm mm mm those look so tasty! At least you eventually got to eat them :)