hellooo 2013

Happy New Year, friends! I hope you all had a wonderfully restful break – we spent a lot of time with family & friends, watched a lot of movies, and ate a lot of things we probably shouldn’t have. Is anyone else still suffering from a cookie hangover?!

2013 started with a bang for us, as we celebrated in Times Square for the very first time! I’ve always wanted to experience the chaos of the ball drop once in my life, but the idea of standing out in the freezing cold in a sea of people for hours on end just didn’t seem particularly appealing, and I had written it off as a lost cause long ago. But by a stroke of luck this year, an awesome friend was able to get a few of us passes to a nearby nightclub, which included being escorted into Times Square just before the ball dropped! Bah-nanas. Needless to say, it was surreal to be in the midst of that roaring crowd – the very one I’ve seen countless times on TV over the years – with confetti raining down and fireworks exploding above. The air was electric with joy and excitement for a fresh start, and I’m still riding on that feeling days later that anything is possible this year! Hopefully being able to cross one thing off my bucket list already is a sign of a very productive year ahead :-)

Some of my hopes and dreams for 2013:

1. Get crazy in the kitchen at least once a month! I enjoy cooking, but I often skip delicious looking recipes if a) there are a million steps b) it involves a pot of oil heated up to lava-like temperatures c) it just looks too damn hard. I will be the master of fried chicken and pad thai this year…maybe.
  2. Take more photos. While browsing through my old photos, I realized there were fewer and fewer snapshots as the years progressed (iPhone shots don’t count!). I vow to become that annoying person who whips out a camera at a party and forces everyone to take 10 group photos.
  3. Stop hoarding so much stuff. Use it or lose it will be the motto of this year, and I will be ruthless!
  4. Unplug more. I’ve come to realize that whenever I “take a computer break”, I’m usually still glued to my iPhone or iPad, which kiiind of defeats the purpose. Just a little bit. Unplugging will MEAN unplugging from now on.
  5. Create more. Design, crafts, home projects, whatever! Just make something!

28 Responses to hellooo 2013!

1. Lucky you! Sounds so awesome. Can’t wait to hear more about it. Fancy coffee soon? Happy New Year Gloria!

2. Lynn says:

oh wow! i’ve always wished to celebrate NYE that way – you’re living the dream girl!!! and those are some really great goals too :) sounds like your Christmas was full of warmth, love and good times with friends/fams. wishing you cheers and charms ahead. HAPPY 20XIII!!!! may it be the best year yet!

3. Melissa says:

Happy 2013! I love that you celebrated in Times Square – what a great memory! I’m excited to get back into blogging in 2013, and look forward to reading your blog posts!

4. I love your goals! Number 3 is my favorite – I have so much stuff I just need to let go of all ready.

Hope you have a wonderful 2013!

P.s. um…Toby & Rocco need to meet – French Bulldogs are ‘ze best!

Sounds like a fabulous celebration and the start of a wonderful new year!

6. alli says:

What an amazing way to ring in 2013. I share a few of the hopes & dreams you listed for the new year – especially #5!

7. Melissa says:

What an exciting New Years Eve! I’ve vowed never to try the Times Square thing because it seems like such a miserable experience. You did it the right way!

I can associate with each and every one of those goals. I might have to adopt them myself. Good luck sticking to them! Happy 2013!

8. Erica says:

Oh, man, you were in Times Square for the ball drop??!! I should have looked out for you on TV. ;)

Here’s to a year of cooking, picture taking, unplugging and more! I can’t wait to see what you’ll be making this year.

9. What an awesome NYE! I’ve always wanted to celebrate in Times Square – love that you got to skip the standing in the freezing cold part. And I can’t wait to see what you create in 2013!

10. zhanna says:

What an amazing New Year!! I love your list especially trying to unplug, and to stop hoarding things! I am all about simplifying my life this year!!
    XO,
    Zhanna

11. I’ve always wanted to do it but like you the idea of standing there for hours has deterred me from it. Wish you the best for this new year!!!!

12. Laicie says:

Happy New Year!! ;)

13. Laicie says:

I’m so jealous of New Year’s Eve! What a perfect way to see the ball drop. And I LOVE your resolutions.

14. I’m with you on number 4 & 5… I just need to find the time! Wishing you a very happy new year!

15. Oh man, that sounds like an amazing New Years Eve!!! Somehow I’ve never spent a New Years Eve in Times Square. Maybe one day!

I’m totally with you on all of the things on your resolutions list– except maybe the kitchen one. Me and the kitchen, we’re just not friends. I like to leave that to the hubs ;)

16. Maddy says:

Wow!! So jealous! I’ve written off too because I don’t think I can stand waiting for hours for that long, but who knows! So glad you had an amazing start to your year! Hope it gets better and better :)

17. Stephanie says:

How amazing to celebrate New Year’s at Times Square! Great list of resolutions… I also want to craft more this year and am hoping to create an improved office/computer room in our home as the current one is quite sparse and not very functional. Happy new year!

18. Will Ryles says:

Definitely need to stop hoarding! I keep so much useless stuff that just ruins the office!!

19. homestilo says:

Gloria that sounds like an amazing experience!
    I wish you a Happy & Healthy 2013. And hope you achieve everything on your list and more!

20. Alexa says:

Such great goals for the New Year! Happy New Year to you and your friends and family! :)

21. Happy New Year Gloria! London usually has a big fireworks display around the Southbank that I have always wanted to go to but I panic in big crowds so I envy your nightclub/Times Square experience! And how lovely to see a picture of you! Good luck with your resolutions, I could probably do with more ‘unplugged’ time too!

22. McKenna Ryan says:

I love this list of New Years goals!! Taking more pictures is on my list too. I am do gad you had a wonderful New Years eve. xx. McKenna Lou

23. Erin says:

I’ll join you on the “disconnect from the screen” resolution. I’ve tried to make that stick a few times now and sadly have failed. So incredible you guys celebrated in Times Square! What a rush that must have been. I always get a little weepy after the ball drops and Frank Sinatra starts playing. Must have been surreal to actually be there! Happy New Year, Gloria!

24. Alyssa says:

I can’t believe you braved Times Square–that’s amazing! I’ve always wanted to do that…maybe 2014?!

Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

25. Kyla says:

Happy New year! I’m also sharing your goal of hoarding less; I decided that every time I buy something new, I need to get rid of something.

26. Patti says:

Take more photos and create more are on my list too. Trying to not always use my iphone for photo taking! Happy New Year!

27. Sally says:

these are really nice and lovely and realistic goals, I need to join you on the unplugging one! your NY sounds brilliant, i’ve lived in london for years but have still never done the proper london NYE! one day! happy new year!

28. Sarah says:

I need to “unplug” more this year too. I hate that so much of my life is now spent online. Happy new year to you!!