alt summit NYC recap

As promised, here are a few helpful tidbits I learned from my time at Alt NYC:

Believe in your own secret sauce
Don’t be swayed from blogging about things that make you excited, out of fear that your readers won’t like it or that it’s not “cool” enough. I’ve posted gigantic photos of spiders, for goodness sake. Trying to emulate others is an exercise in futility – having your own voice is what will draw others to you, so speak up!

Keep your eyes on the prize
Set a goal, and don’t let yourself be distracted from it. Every decision you make should help you inch a teeny bit closer to this goal. If it doesn’t, you’ll be forced to spend even more time and effort into getting yourself back on track, and who wants to do that??

Don’t network
“Hmmm this is awkward” ran through my head when Garance Doré uttered these words at one of the largest networking events for bloggers, but she quickly stated her case, and I agreed with every word! Flinging your business cards around in a room full of strangers can absolutely result in some great connections, but is it likely? Hard to say. A better method is to take the time to research people you would love to work with, who are aligned with your own vision, and start a dialogue from there. Real and meaningful relationships with awesome people are what’s going to make your business grow.

Look outside for inspiration
People tend to flock to the same sources of inspiration (I’m looking at you, Pinterest), which inevitably results in the same ideas popping up over and over again. Get off the beaten path and explore outside your bubble – new websites, magazines, neighborhoods, etc. – for fresh ideas.

Always be learning. Always be streamlining. Always be teaching.
Don’t become complacent when it comes to your work or business. When you achieve one goal, start thinking of the next instead of sitting on your laurels. Keep pushing yourself to make your content better and your process faster. And at the end of it all, share your experiences!

24 Responses to 5 takeaways from Alt NYC 2013

1. Jill says:

love this!!! good stuff. thanks for sharing

2. Rose says:

great graphic!

3. love the graphic recap!

4. Great advice! I’d love to see more from your trip at Alt!

5. Marie says:

thanks for the quick recap and pick-me-up. It’s always a good reminder to reflect these things. :)

6. Tanya @ myinvisiblecamera says:

Great blog post, Gloria! The whole ‘not networking’ thing really spoke to me. I was right there at altNYC–I saw ya!–but I wasn’t looking to just hand my card to anyone who walked in my path. I didn’t want it to feel awkward or contrived (says the introvert blogger :D). It’s also really nice to mention that sometimes conferences are great for discovery! I found your blog as a result of altNYC and now you have a new admirer!

7. Some good tips! I’ve never heard “don’t network,” but coming from Garance Dore, I’ll take it!

8. little t says:

Thanks for the tips Gloria. It would have been cool to be there.

9. Thank you for sharing this! All great advice (and I love how you laid it out with the speech bubbles–so cute). I just found your blog and can already tell I’m going to love it.

10. Sally says:

these are fab tips, and seem pretty achievable too! thanks for sharing these :)

Love this–such fabulous advice.

12. Love this! Thanks so much for sharing!

13. Alison says:

These are great Gloria, I am so sad that I missed this, next year I will go. Thank you for the recap!

14. Victoria says:

AMAZING tips, Gloria! As a new blogger and self-taught designer, I find it so hard to figure out my place in the blog world… It’s like I’m not really a graphic designer so I don’t know how I am in the designer world, I love fashion, but I don’t want to do an all style blog.. Sometimes I want to blog about this or that, then I get confused and lose inspiration.. or a lot of people tell me “oh you should talk about this and do this,” but then I lose myself… I guess it’s all a learning process. These are all SUCH wonderful tips, and they’re actually things I’ve told myself, it’s just good to see them reinforced. Thanks so much for sharing!

15. Love these, and LOVE the graphic you made for it. xx

16. homestilo says:

Great tips Gloria- thanks for sharing them with us!

17. PERFECT roundup. All such great advice!!

18. Alyssa says:

I love “Believe in your own special sauce.” It’s a basic idea, but too often it’s overlooked–great advice!

19. Thanks for sharing all these – I LOVE your recap! … I esp love the “don’t network” esp since lately I have been feelign a bit guilty that I haven’t networked. The networking meeting that I used to attend was filled with people wanting to talk talk talk (push) their biz card (so I become a client) and not want to hire me; or them wanting a date (haha, those where the events that served wine).

20. Rachel says:

Love #1. People get so consumed in “keeping up with the Joneses” and so many blogs are just copycats of one another. Do your own thing and enjoy what you’re doing, regardless of others.

21. Erin says:

Thank you so much for sharing, Gloria! Of course Garance is full of sage wisdom, her perfection is endless isn’t it? I take the first tidbit of advice very seriously. I’m uncool as can be and I own it! Haha

I was hoping you’d post something like this. Good stuff!

I like the “Don’t Network” advice – it’s so unnatural to force something that’s not there. If you’re truly interested in someone, the connection is much more natural and the relationship can blossom on its own

24. Jillian says:

Best ALT NYC post I’ve seen yet! These are really great points and I’m definitely going to try to apply them.