Turks and Caicos vacation

The last time we frolicked on a white sand beach was several years ago on our honeymoon in Aruba, so this trip to Turks & Caicos could not have come sooner! It was filled with sun, adventure, no computers, and it was certainly the most pain-free way a gal could turn 31.

When planning our trip, I had envisioned a fairly commercialized island filled with tourists and souvenir vendors, but the exact opposite was true! There were no towering Hilton or Marriott hotels marring the view, and we often had the pristine beaches all to ourselves, as the busy season doesn’t start until around the holidays – pure magic!

Turks & Caicos vacation

We caught up on some reading, discovered a love for conch fritters and rum punch, bonded with local pirates, and worked on our flip flop tans. And of course, a large part of our time was spent swimming, snorkeling, and just soaking up the breathtaking scenery. The water was so blue, I half expected it to be raspberry Kool-Aid.

Turks & Caicos kayaking

A fun highlight of our trip was an amazing kayaking tour where we learned about the local ecology and spotted several sharks (baby ones, thankfully), jellyfish, conchs, iguanas, and one gigantic prickly starfish. I got reprimanded when the guide heard me wonder out loud if they planted things for us to “find” along the way :-)

Turks & Caicos Taylor Bay

One of my favorite spots was Taylor Bay, where the crystal clear water is knee deep for about 100 yards! It’s tucked away off of an unmarked dirt path in the middle of a neighborhood of stately beach mansions – no sign, no parking lot, no nothing. Finding it was a hair pulling experience, but when we finally DID step out onto that beach, it felt like we’d found a little slice of heaven.

And the best part was that we got to share this incredible view with some of our friends from NYC, who just happened to be down there at the same time as us. What are the odds of that?!? It is indeed a very small world…

14 Responses to adventures in turks & caicos

1. Erica says:

What a fantastic trip! Those empty beaches are beautiful! Conch fritters sound delicious. And that starfish… WOW. He was HUGE!

2. domestikate says:

Oh it looks brilliant! I can’t believe how white the sand is!

3. Sally says:

Woah, those beaches and that clear sea! So so gorgeous! Glad you had a wonderful time :)

4. Angela says:

This looks so pretty! I had to look it up on google maps to see where it is. I’ve never heard of it, but I want to go there now!

5. Stephanie says:

What an amazing trip! The sand is so white and the water is so clear… stunning!

6. Sarah says:

Oh man, now I’m jonesing for a vacation!

7. Totally jealous, looks dreamy! Glad you had a great time, you totally deserved it :) xx

What an AMAZING trip–it looks like heaven, and has my wanderlust working overtime!

9. alli says:

Glad you had a great time! What a beautiful place…that starfish is huge!

10. Erin says:

Amazing! I’m not a beach girl but for this kind of vacation I could make an exception! Really gorgeous, and it looks like you guys had nice weather!

…there are more photos coming, right?? xo

11. Jane Y. says:

wow! how incredible is that you ran into friends from nyc!! and man, i need to be on that beach right now. these pictures are so beautiful!!

12. Alyssa says:

Soooo this must be what paradise looks like, right?! What an incredible trip!

13. First of all, that trip looks AMAZING! And I can’t believe you randomly ran into people you knew there. I love it when that happens (well, when it happens and it’s a good thing and not a “Quick! Hide!” kind of thing).

Also, my favorite line: “The water was so blue, I half expected it to be raspberry Kool-Aid.”

That water looks so BEAUTIFUL – I’m glad you had a good time