DIY string organizers

I was motivated to go through all my craft supplies the other day and clean the whole mess out (yes, this is what I do for fun over long weekends). I threw out a lot of random bits of material I’ve hoarded over the year, labeled containers, cleaned up smudgy rubber stamps, and lined up spray paint cans into neat little rows. All was going well until I was faced with a stringy monstrosity shoved into a zip lock bag that was supposed to be my embroidery floss stash for bracelet making:

tangled string mess!

Ack! I was tempted to ignore the colorful blob and keep that bag tightly shut, but my cleaning streak was going strong, and I decided to face this thing head on. Who knew that a few strips of cardstock would help me get this mess under control (and in a very cute way)? Here’s how I did it:

DIY string organizers

1. Cut the cardstock into rectangles. I used a business card for a pattern, so mine were about 2 inches wide and 3.5 inches long.

2. Cut out some ears in 3 easy snips, and then…

3. Use a tiny hole punch for the eyes

4. Make a small slit at the top of the body area, to thread the start of the string from. Then make one or two more slits at the bottom so you have somewhere to anchor the end of the string.

5. Use every ounce of patience in your body to unravel all the strings.

6. Thread your cats, and enjoy a much happier state of mind!

DIY string organizers

43 Responses to DIY string organizers

1. meggiecat says:

These are so cute and are just the organizers I need. Thanks!

2. Barbara says:

Love those kitties! Wish I had found them about two weeks ago, before I sorted out all my twine, but I do plan on re-doing them, kitty-style! Thank you for sharing.

3. Carla Hundley says:

Super cute and a
    great idea!
    Carla from Utah

4. Pingback: 10 Kitty Cat Craft Ideas - Do Small Things with Love

5. Debbe says:

This is a great idea! -And what a wonderful and useful way to recycle those old business cards I just couldn’t throw away!!

• Barbara from Anderson Island says:

Debbe – Love that you used actual business cards for your kitties! TFS!

6. Cheryl Biggs says:

Love these! I WILL be making some … :-)

7. Pingback: Embroidery Floss Organizers | Red Circle Crafts

8. Pingback: 15 Stocking Stuffer DIYS - The Crafted Life

9. Alicia says:

These are practically life savers, and so adorable! Thank you for sharing them. I am thinking if there are other animals you could make like this…

10. Pingback: Hazlo-tú: Organizador de hilos | Ideotas.cl

11. Frida says:

So adoreable :)
    Great idea.

Hugs
    Frida, Denmark

12. Marti says:

These are adorable!! I can’t wait to make them. I’d love for you to link them up in my Craft Room! I’d love to feature them. You can link them up here…http://sewlicioushomedecor.com/sew-organized/. :)

Marti

13. Pingback: Suittis loves... - Suittis Magazine

14. melissa says:

These are darling! So I think I might do this but also hang them up in a gallery type of way and save space on my shelf :) I am doing an fun thing called pintober (pin every day for the month of october and you take a picture of just the finished project with no steps of how you did it) I will for sure do this instead but I won’t do a tutorial it will be linked straight to you if that is okay?

15. jeanine says:

I love these!

16. I love your little string organisers…so so sweet!

17. Rachel says:

Oh my- these are soooo cute! I’ll never look at those forms the same way again. I would love to link to your how-to if you didn’t mind.

18. Ilaria says:

Very, very cute…..I’ll make some of those cats for my bias and trimmings.

19. ulya says:

cats look so cute, thanks for this nice idea :)

20. NoisyOyster says:

I really like this idea, and will try it myself as an alternative to buying flossbow holders or tracing and cutting out many of the tiny cardstock floss bobbins. Have you found a container well suited to store these neatly? I also think these would work well for narrow ribbons and trims. Thanks for sharing.

21. Pingback: Quick Crafty Round Up « thelongthread.com

22. Clemencia says:

These are so cute! Now I want one, what a clever idea :) Thanks for sharing

23. Annabel says:

Love this!! Will definitely be using it when I tidy my crafts next!

24. Harri says:

Maybe I should go clean my craft box now. I’m sure I’ve got some emboridery floss somewhere !!

25. SO. STINKING. CUTE!!! My daughter got this big friendship bracelet making kit for her birthday and while we were working on her first one, my monster baby came over and unraveled a whoooooole lot of embroidery thread. This is the PERFECT way to untangle that mess (which, by the way, is giving my older daughter palpitations, lol).

26. alli says:

Seriously, the cutest idea!

27. steph says:

These are adorable! I cleaned out my craft supplies over the long weekend, too…it’s so rewarding and you find stuff you didn’t remember you had, so it’s like going shopping at your own house! :)

28. debie grace says:

Cute! I’d keep this in mind just in case I get too much strings in my drawer. :D

29. Stephanie says:

SO cute! Great idea!

30. Sarah says:

Oh my goodness, how cute are these?!

31. weird, I did just that this weekend too. The rain made me get so much done.

Clever and adorable–the Little White Whale way!

33. Victoria says:

OMG genius – and the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! Such a good idea, Gloria!

34. Mariko says:

Really cute. And if you used a slightly stiffer card stock you could probably adjust it to work for earphone cables too. ;)

35. ADORABLE!! What a great solution. :) I wouldn’t want to hide them away.

36. Alyssa says:

These are too freakin’ cute!

37. Jane Y. says:

What a wonderful idea! So cute, too! I just recently decluttered literally my entire house and ended up with 3 boxes and 3 huge ikea bags worth of things to donate and sell. And my home feels so much lighter and I feel so good as well! :)

38. Erica says:

Crafty cleaning is so much more fun when it is cute! :)

39. Milynn says:

As a cat lady, I approve this project. Ahh! Such a cute way to be organized :)