DIY animal planter

I’ve always admired beautiful planters from afar, knowing that I would never need to buy one due to my awesome black thumb. Plants and I just aren’t meant to be! So when my mom brought me a basil plant a few months ago, I expected it to shrivel up and die within a few weeks like every other plant that has had the misfortune of crossing our front door. But lo and behold, a miracle has occurred right in our living room because it’s still alive!! I wouldn’t go so far as to use the word “thriving”, but it’s alive, and that’s all that matters to me :-) To reward my new leafy friend for hanging in there, I decided to upgrade its boring plastic planter to something with a little more style…

diy animal planter

Making one of these bear dog cat cute planters could not be easier! All you’ll need is:

diy animal planter

1. Cut out two dots for eyes, a jellybean nose, a “W” shaped squiggle for the muzzle, and rectangular strips for hairs from the contact paper
  2. Decorate the planter with your stickers
  3. Pop in a plant, and enjoy your new “pet”!

I was originally going to use a Sharpie marker to decorate the planter, but I really like the non-permanent factor of using contact paper. When you get tired of the design, you can peel it all off and start over with a fresh look – yipee!

diy animal planter

17 Responses to diy animal planter

1. Pingback: 5 For Friday

2. Ada says:

So cute! I thought it was a gold marker. Great (adorable) idea!

3. Pingback: 22 Spring Container Gardening Ideas

4. Melissa says:

I love this! so simple and sweet!

5. Pingback: Bookmark Dump: Pit Bulls in a Photobooth, Mason jar add-ons, and R2D2 holding your coffee

6. Stephanie says:

Adorable! And not too difficult to make. Nice work!

7. Mariko says:

I LOVE this! So cute and easy.

8. Amy says:

So cute! Love it!

9. lena says:

Just about the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

10. Ann says:

I’m going to have to look for metallic contact paper next time I’m out. This is adorable and the star wrapping paper you made with it is gorgeous!

11. Aww yay for keeping your basil alive, and yay for this adorable planter!

12. Did I convert you to contact paper my dear?! Watch, it’s addictive!!!! Love this little planter, definitely SO MUCH cuter than that ugly black plastic pot!

13. Jane Y. says:

love it! i wanted to do a similar one with little plates and tea cups! but it would be so nice with planters as well! i have a terribly black thumb as well.. but i just can’t stop myself from getting greens for the house! :)

14. Love the idea of using contact paper to spruce up an otherwise boring pot. I don’t have much of a green thumb either, but I’m working on it! Some fresh blooms for spring would be great! Congratulations on the basil plant, I hope it thrives and thrives! :)

15. Sarah says:

Oh my goodness, how cute! I want to put one of these in the nursery.

16. is this the cutest thing ever?
    i think so!