Warning: Use of undefined constant photo_source - assumed 'photo_source' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/gchen/webapps/blog/wp-content/themes/lww_2014/loop-single.php on line 51
Everyone knows diamonds are a girl’s best friend…especially big soft ones you can take a nap on :-) I spotted this adorable pillow floating around the interwebs a while ago and was disappointed to see it wasn’t for sale anymore, so I decided to try making my own! I’ve never made any sort of pillow before, so it was a bit of a challenge, but all the nice straight geometric angles were rather nice to work with. Read on for the instructions and don’t be intimidated by all the steps – it’s quite easy when you break it all down!
What you’ll need:
- solid colored fabric
- white fabric paint
- sewing pins
- sewing machine
- poly-fil stuffing
- Fold a piece of fabric in half and cut out a 22″x18″ rectangle, starting from the folded edge (this will help keep the two pieces of fabric together until you cut)
- Use a ruler and pencil to draw a vertical line down the center at the halfway point (in this case, 11″). This side will end up on the inside of the pillow, so don’t worry about marking it up!
- Then draw a 12″ horizontal line about 1″ down from the top edge, centered on the vertical line (so 6″ on both the left and right sides). About 5.75″ down from this line, draw a centered 20″ line running parallel to the first
- Make a mark about 1.5″ from the bottom edge of the center line for the bottom point of the diamond. Connect all the outer points of the lines to create the full diamond shape
- Add a .25″ seam around the entire perimeter of the diamond, then cut it out
- Now that you have two separate fabric pieces, move the pencil marked layer aside. Tape off a 1″ perimeter (this should be a little thicker than the inner lines due to the extra seam border) around the second layer of fabric and paint it in with fabric paint
- Peel the tape off when the paint is dry. Then tape off and paint a .75″ thick line spanning across the width of the diamond and paint. When THAT’s dry, tape off and paint .75″ thick lines in the top section
- Once all the paint has dried, place the layer with the pencil markings directly on top of the painted one. Pin together and break out your sewing machine!
- Sew along the seam line you marked earlier, but leave a few inches unstitched to create an opening big enough to fit your hand through
- Flip the fabric inside out through the gap, so that your diamond lines are now on the outside
- Now for the fun part – fill up the pillow with stuffing!
- When your pillow is nice and full, hand sew the gap closed (this invisible stitch tutorial came in handy for me)
- Go show off your new bling!