Warning: Use of undefined constant photo_source - assumed 'photo_source' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/gchen/webapps/blog/wp-content/themes/lww_2014/loop-single.php on line 51
We bought a striped coir doormat from Target about two years ago that looked great but shed horribly because it wasn’t lined. Our hallway was constantly filled with bits of tan fibers and dust that never fully disappeared no matter how much it was vacuumed! It drove us bananas but I couldn’t find any other doormat I liked for under $50, which is an exorbitant amount for something you use to wipe your shoes on, in my cheapskate opinion. So when I spotted this cute and simple house shaped doormat, I knew I just had to recreate it for our home! I bought a simple vinyl-backed (this is KEY to no shedding!) mat, and 10 minutes later, our front doorstep was looking extra welcoming. Hooray for easy-as-pie DIYs!
What you’ll need:
- a natural coir doormat with vinyl backing
- a ruler
- a utility knife
- Flip over your doormat so the vinyl-backed side is visible
- Mark the sides of your house in chalk. The lines can be easily erased with a damp paper towel, so take some time to figure out what looks good to you!
- Once you’re happy with your drawing, cut along the chalk lines using a ruler and a sharp utility knife
- Explain to your dog what a doormat is and get very confused head tilts (optional)
- All done and ready for your front door!